Junior Theater Festival 2015
BRAVO! earns OUTSTANDING PRODUCTION for
6th CONSECUTIVE YEAR!
For the sixth consecutive year, the BRAVO performing arts program from Brooks Middle School earned the coveted award of Outstanding Production at the National Junior Theater Festival in Atlanta Georgia, which was attended by 4,500 people representing 104 schools from the United States, Canada, South Korea and Australia.
In addition to receiving the top honor, BRAVO students and staff earned a number of other accolades:
- Brooks alumna Lucia Rodriquez-Nelson won the Freddie G Award for Excellence by a Female Performer.
- Eighth graders Cait Egan and Josh Czuba were named All Stars and performed on stage with All Stars from the other 103 groups.
- Eighth grader Leah Love was named a Technical All Star and got the opportunity to work on the New Works Festival Showcase and the Awards Ceremony.
- Eight BRAVO students had the chance to audition for the 2015 Choreography DVD being filmed in New York City, with all of them making the final cut. Those students included Armando Carlo, Jazmyne Jones, Drew Krueger, Paul Obrecht, Lua Powers, Abby Pridmore, Morgan Varnado and Carrie Wolter.
- Lisa Morrow, BRAVO’s costume and hair designer, won a Freddie G award. This award recognizes individuals from grade schools in the United States who attend the festival on an annual basis and demonstrate remarkable teaching traits. As a result of this honor, BRAVO will receive $5,000 to invest back into its program.
- BRAVO was selected as one of only four groups to perform and close the New Works Festival Showcase.
- BRAVO students were featured in a medley commemorating 20 years of Disney theatricals.
BRAVO wrapped up its weekend in Atlanta with its annual visit to the Martin Luther King historical site, museum and birthplace.
The award-winning students who attended the festival included: Simon Boyle, Thomas Brandstrader, Armando Carlo, Magnolia Chesney, Claire Cooke, Shalyn Dixon, Joshua Czuba, Collette Donlin, Lily Doody, Maeve Doody, Cait Egan, Montgomery Ellwanger, Tait Ferguson, Carson Flemming, Anna Freivogel, Ethan Gilbert, Noah Goin, Max Halle-Podell, Meenah Harbaugh, Quentin Harlan, Lindy Harris, Haley Huckstep, Andrew Inksetter, Charlie Inksetter, Jazmyne Jones, Andrew Krueger, Madeleine Lebovitz, Aidan Lenehan, Anthony Lenehan, Liam Loughran, Leah Love, Claire Mack, Olivia Marmer, Gina Montalvo, Kaia Morrison-Burks, Paul Obrecht, Lua Powers, Abby Pridmore, Spencer Reisig, Veronica Rooney, Lucia Rodriguez-Nelson, Camille Scibek, William Skubish, Henry Tamondong, Morgan Varnado and Caroline Wolter.
The BRAVO staff includes: Connor Cornelius, choreographer; Cameron Burgess, musical director and alumnus of Brooks and OPRF High School; Lisa Morrow, costume and hair designer; Randi Orlin, business manager; and Tina Reynolds, director.